Thursday, September 11, 2008

Blog Post 4 - A character's theme song

This blog post is due on Sunday, Sept 28 by 11:59 pm.

I'd like you to select any character that we've read so far and select a theme song for him/her. If you can find a youtube or google video that goes along with the song, feel free to post that too. Be sure that you discuss why you chose that song for that character. If there are lyrics that sound like they are describing the person, for example, that would help you support choosing that particular song.

You can make fun, if you like. For example, I could kind of see "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" by The Offspring as a theme song for Rudy Elmenhurst. (Link to "Pretty Fly" video)

Or you can make it a little more serious.

The idea of Donald Armstrong doing the handstand before he gets beheaded in "The Performance" has always fascinated me. I remember hearing Dickey talk about this poem speicifcally when I was at Governor's School. He read it to us and then talked about Armstrong with a lot of respect.

"So why does he do the handstand?" asked one vocal student.

(Dickey was pretty intimidating, so that took some bravery, lol.)

I can't remember his exact words, but it went something along the lines of there being a lot of reasons why he might have and how it's up to the reader to decide the reason. (Postmodernism, anyone?)

Sure, I might have this on my mind because I'm excited about the release of Metallica's new album tomorrow, but I am going to relate "The Day That Never Comes" to Donald. I think that could be his themesong.

Donald is a prisoner of war in the poem. He is clearly not going to be given his Geneva Convention rights. Instead, he's digging his own grave. For some reason, when it's time for him to kneel down to await his gruesome death, he does a headstand. What an odd, out of place thing it is... a headstand! A "dead man walking"... on his hands!

I've chosen "The Day That Never Comes" for several reasons. First of all, several lines in the song seem applicable. "Born to push you around/ Better just stay down... He hits the flesh / You hit the ground"... to me, that sounds like it could be talking to a prisoner of war.

The title of the song seems pertinent. Wouldn't a POW be desperately waiting for the day that he/she would be released? It seems like freedom would be the most important thing on this person's mind. But in Donald Armstrong's case, this day he's waiting on will indeed never come. And as he's digging his own grave, he has to realize this.

So, unlike the cowardly chancellor from "The Obsolete Man," he decides to make one last public statement - his headstand. It's almost humorous - his lack of balance, his gangly body. Humor and death don't seem to mix, but he puts the two together anyway. In the song, one of my favorite lines is "I'll splatter color on this grave." I believe that's exactly what Donald was doing... splattering color - human-ness, actually - on this bitter, unjust, horrible moment.

The video is a director's interpretation and doesn't necessarily related to Donald, but it does show a similar human side to war... enjoy!

2 comments:

D Bailey said...

My blog was posted here http://darrenbailey.blogspot.com/2008/09/cry-for-help.html

Bill Zimmerly said...

Dear Angie,

I found your blog on Contemporary Literature by doing a blog search on "The Obsolete Man", a favorite of mine so much so that I created a blog dedicated to that story. Thanks for the video and commentary as well as the other interesting posts that you've made on this rich subject!

Sincerely,
- Bill